Vehicle collisions happen every single day in every state, and sometimes those collisions involve drivers who are just passing through the state. For instance, you might be hit at an intersection by a driver who was heading through Alabama on their way to Georgia.

If that is what happened to you, and you know that the other driver was responsible for the accident, you might wondering how you will recover your losses following the crash.

Can you pursue an injury claim or lawsuit against a driver who doesn’t live in Alabama, and, if you can, which state has jurisdiction over the case? Would Alabama laws apply to the car accident or would the driver’s state laws apply?

The information contained on this page is intended to help you understand how to recover your damages from an out-of-state driver.

Law of the Place Where the Tort Was Committed

There is a law that states that tort claims are subject to the laws where the incident occurred, which means that the driver who injured you will be subject to Alabama’s laws when it comes to a car accident claim or lawsuit.

This is good news for you because it means you will be able to hold that driver accountable for your injuries and losses under Alabama law.

Steps to Take Following an Accident with an Out-of-State Driver

Because the driver lives in another state, there are a few important steps you need to take immediately after the accident to increase the likelihood of a claim resolution in your favor.

  • The first thing you need to do is obtain all the driver’s information, such as where they live, their phone number, their insurance information, etc.
  • Next, take photographs of the accident scene, your vehicle, and your injuries. You should also photograph the out-of-state driver’s vehicle very carefully, as you might not get another chance to do so.
  • Next, you should file your claim as soon as you’re able because this type of accident case could take longer to resolve than other types. This is especially true if you’re filing a lawsuit in which the driver must return to Alabama to attend court.
  • Finally, make sure that you hire a lawyer who can help you with your car accident claim, so you will have the best chance at receiving maximum compensation from the at-fault driver’s insurance company.

Call an Alabama Auto Injury Lawyer

Being in a vehicle collision is a scary event, and the aftermath can be overwhelming. You deserve to receive full compensation for an accident caused by an out-of-state driver. Although this accident claim might be a little more challenging than other types of car crash claims, your lawyer at our firm will still be able to manage it.

To give your claim a better chance at success, it’s a good idea to partner with a lawyer in Alabama who is experienced in vehicle collision claims. Contact Henry Dailey Law Firm using the online case review form below, or you can call our office directly at 205-995-2412.

Share This